PEP is a tool that could prevent you from picking up HIV.
- PEP must be started as soon as possible after a risk incident (like a failed condom or condomless anal sex)
- PEP involves taking powerful anti-HIV drugs for four weeks (these drugs may have side effects)
- PEP is not guaranteed to work
- PEP must be taken within 72 hours
- PEP is a series of powerful drugs that can stop HIV from taking hold in your body. PEP may have side effects, and is far less effective than condoms.
The best way to avoid picking up HIV is to use condoms while having anal sex with a partner whose status you aren’t sure of.