The Community Organizers Program
Do you have an idea for a community program, dialogue, workshop, or presentation that could help strengthen the physical, sexual, social, or mental health and wellbeing of GBQ men and Gender Diverse people in BC? Whether it’s a community dialogue to support newcomers, a series of group fitness classes, or a workshop to learn about fetish, HIM can help support, host, and promote your activity through the Community Organizers program.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Working toward our vision of “GBQ men and Gender Diverse people building healthy lives together” we want to empower members of our diverse communities to organize and lead community programs that will help address needs that might be underserved by existing programs led directly by HIM.
By becoming a Community Organizer with HIM, you will have the full support of HIM staff to develop your own program idea that you will be able to host via HIM and have promoted to HIM’s audience. Activities hosted through the Community Organizers program will also benefit from financial support to assist with costs associated with organizing and facilitating.
HOW TO BECOME A COMMUNITY ORGANIZER
- Complete the Community Organizers Application form
- Await reply from HIM staff within approximately one week of submission
- Be invited to complete a more detailed plan of your proposed program in collaboration with a HIM staff member, if your application is selected
WHY BECOME A COMMUNITY ORGANIZER WITH HIM
Organizing a community program is a great way to give back, help support underserved members of the community and take a leading role in addressing some of the issues that might affect you and people like you. Working in tandem with HIM means that you will have the resources and the support you need to flesh out your program ideas and get them off the ground.
The Community Organizers program is an opportunity not only to share your knowledge and experiences with others, but also to test out your skills and education in a supportive real-world environment.
COMMUNITY ORGANIZERS: PAST AND PRESENT
HIM has worked and is working with an extraordinary group of Community Organizers to design and deliver unique community programming. Click below and take a look at some of their profiles, past and present, to get a sense of the work they have been doing with HIM:
Edmond T. Cheng
Unleash Happiness (concluded)
Get Kinky with HIM (concluded)
Sterling James (RIP)
Grey & Golden
Yoga with HIM in Chilliwack
APPLY TO BECOME A COMMUNITY ORGANIZER AT HIM!
WHO IS/CAN BE A COMMUNITY ORGANIZER?
A Community Organizer (CO) with HIM is an individual who:
- Is a member of (or an ally to) the GBQ men and Gender Diverse communities, and who is passionate about strengthening the health and wellbeing of the community
- Has the capacity, willingness and drive to contribute time and effort into designing and leading community programming
- Resides in and is involved in the community in BC
- Has a relevant and feasible community program idea (or is willing to work with HIM to find community program ideas), and is willing to lead the implementation of said ideas
- Possesses leadership skills that enable them to lead, organize and facilitate community programming that caters to diverse groups of GBQ men and Gender Diverse people in the community
- Is aligned with the HIM organizational values
COMMUNITY ORGANIZER V. VOLUNTEER?
How is being a Community Organizer different from volunteering with HIM?
At HIM, we deeply value the contributions of our volunteers and always look for ways to deepen our relationships with them. Considering this, the Community Organizers program offers an opportunity for our volunteers who would like to continue to contribute with their time and skills to deliver HIM’s mission but do so in a leadership capacity where they can design and deliver programming as opposed to supporting existing programs. All Community Organizers are considered part of the broader HIM volunteers’ community. Please note that you do not necessarily have to have already been volunteering with HIM to be considered as a CO.
HOW DOES HIM SUPPORT COs?
HIM Hosts Community Organizers (COs) by:
- Supplying the physical space for COs’ community program activities, either at HIM’s own spaces or by liaising with third party community spaces within HIM’s network
- Providing the institutional umbrella under-which COs can carry out their community program activities
- Securing necessary licenses and approvals for approved community program activities
HIM Supports COs by:
- Providing cost assistance to the community program
- Sharing talent resources and expertise
- Lending the influence of the HIM brand and leadership to help raise the profile of the COs’ community programs
HIM Promotes COs by:
- Providing marketing strategy and implementation support to help raise awareness about the COs’ community programs across HIM’s network
- Raising the profile of COs in the community, both physically and virtually through HIM’s various networks and partnerships
MUST I HAVE AN IDEA IN ORDER TO APPLY?
While HIM is ultimately looking for Community Organizers who have relevant community ideas that can feasibly be adopted as community programs, you do not necessarily have to have a ready program idea in order to apply to join HIM’s network of Community Organizers. Your passion and skills are what matter the most, and HIM is happy to work closely with you to help you identify a community program idea. As a member of the Community Organizers network following your application, you may also be offered opportunities to co-lead/facilitate existing activities until you develop a community program that you would like to lead on your own.
IS THERE A DEADLINE TO APPLY?
There is no deadline to apply to become a Community Organizer with HIM. The application is open year-round and those who apply will be considered and contacted when the HIM team’s capacity allows, usually within about one week following submission.
WHAT IS THE INTERVIEW PROCESS LIKE?
After you apply to become a Community Organizer, you will be asked to submit a proposed program plan based on a template that HIM will provide you with. Following your program plan submission, you will be invited to a conversation with one of HIM’s Community Engagement staff members to help determine the readiness and relevance of your proposed community program idea.
WHAT IF MY PROGRAM IDEA ISN'T SELECTED?
By applying to become a Community Organizer, you will be invited to submit a program plan for your community program idea. If your proposed program plan does not get selected for any number of reasons, you will continue to be part of the Community Organizers network and you will be invited to re-submit ideas periodically. Depending on existing needs, you may be given the opportunity to facilitate existing community groups and programs.
WHAT'S THE CRITERIA?
What’s the criteria for a successful Community Organizers program/group idea?
For a CO program idea to be considered, it must be:
- Relevant: It addresses an evident need in the GBQ men and/or Gender Diverse communities.
- Feasible: You and HIM have the combined skills, resources and expertise to deliver it in a meaningful way.
- Timely: It comes at an appropriate time and its implementation timeframe is realistic and feasible.
- Aligned with HIM’s Vision, Mission and Values.