HIM Express Testing
Life on the go? HIM now offers EXPRESS TESTING at our HIM on Davie Health Centre.
Express Testing is a convenient and fast way to get routine HIV/STI tests done. Routine samples will be collected by a lab technician/self-collected and you will not see a nurse.
You qualify for EXPRESS TESTING IF:
- You do NOT have symptoms
- You did NOT have an event * you were concerned about
- You have been tested at HIM on Davie or HIM on the Drive in the past year
- You want routine testing and you don’t need to see a nurse for questions or counseling
*sex with a person with known STI or symptoms, concerned about sexual encounter in last 72 hours, have concerns to discuss with a nurse.
The lab technician will:
- Ask a few questions about the right/appropriate tests and swabs for you
- Collect blood work and throat swabs for routine testing (all other swabs are self-collected)
- Let you know how to get your test results
- Not be able to do a Rapid HIV test (finger poke HIV test); results are available in few days (not immediately)
- Not be able to answer any questions regarding HIV or STIs
Please book a NURSING appointment, or walk-in during health centre hours, IF…………
- You have symptoms (painful peeing, rash, sores, warts…)
- A partner has informed you that they have tested positive for an STI/HIV
- A nurse informed you that a test result came back positive or that a test needs to be repeated
- You need a vaccine (Hep A, B or Gardasil for HPV)
- You are concerned that you have been exposed to HIV in the last 72 hours, and may need Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)
- You want a Rapid HIV test (finger poke HIV test)
- You are interested in PrEP, (Pre Exposure Prophylaxis/Truvada)
- Your last test for HIV/STI was more than 1 year ago
- This is your FIRST visit to HIM on Davie Health Centre or HIM on the Drive Health Centres
- You have questions for the nurse or if you are more comfortable getting your testing done by the nurse
please visit our Health Centre Locations and Hours and either make an advance online appointment to see a nurse, or simply you can walk-in during health centre hours.
For additional information, please phone the HIM office during office hours at (604) 488-1001. Otherwise, Answer a few questions to check if you qualify and make a 15-minute appointment for EXPRESS TESTING and the HIM on Davie location.
Only online reservations made in advance will be taken. No walk-ins at this time for Express Testing.