Take care of your sexual Health.
Our 5 Health Centres in the Lower Mainland provide GBQ men and gender diverse people with:
- Full-spectrum sexual health testing: Rapid and Standard HIV as well as STI testing
- Vaccinations for Hepatitis A, B, as well as HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) for those under the age of 27
- Consultation with nurses
- Anonymous harm reduction supply order and pick up
Looking for services outside of the Lower Mainland?
TESTING AT HIM HEALTH CENTRES
Due to high demand for quicker service, we have created more options to meet your testing needs. Depending on your specific situation (e.g. the kind of sex you have been having, or the tests that you need) you may be offered an Express Testing appointment, or an appointment with a nurse.
To see a nurse at HIM on Davie, we only accept walk-ins. Please arrive early as time slots tend to fill up quickly. Once all time slots are filled for the day, we have to turn people away. We accept appointments for Express Testing, but please note that these appointments don’t include a consult with a nurse.
For hours of operation or to book an Express Testing appointment and to see if you qualify, click here. For all other inquiries, please phone 604-675-2767.
To see a nurse at HIM on The Drive you can make an appointment here.
More About STI/HIV Testing at HIM
All 5 HIM Health Centres offer:
- Standard HIV test: Detects HIV antibodies from 3 to 6 weeks up to three months after infection (note that most men will have detectable antibodies 3–4 weeks after HIV infection).
- Rapid HIV test: Detects HIV antibodies from 4 to 6 weeks, up to three months after infection (note that most men will have detectable antibodies 3–4 weeks after HIV infection). Your results are available in 1 minute (finger prick)
- Your results are available after 10 business days. The clinic nurses will contact you if there is need for follow up (ex. positive results, lab issues with your samples). The nurses will contact you as soon as possible if follow up is required.
- STI tests: We offer standard testing for HIV, syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, Hepatitis A, B and C. The nurses can test for herpes if you think you have symptoms. Genital warts (HPV) can be assessed by nurses and liquid nitrogen treatments are available. You’ll work with the nurses to determine which tests are recommended at your visit.
- You don’t need a BC Care Card to get tested.
- All tests are confidential.
- You can choose to use your real name or provide an alias.
For more general information about testing (beyond services offered at HIM Health Centres) and other testing options, please click here.
TESTING AT HOME
There is a new tool available for you to do testing in the safety of your own home or at the place that feels safe for you.
If you’re having a tough time or struggling with your mental health, our professional counsellors are here to provide support. To book a counselling appointment, please call 604-488-1001, or email@example.com for more information.
If you have questions, check out our online mental health resource.
PEP – POST EXPOSURE PROFYLAXIS
PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is an option to prevent HIV after you may have come into contact with HIV during sex. It involves taking HIV medications for a month to stop HIV from taking hold in your body. PEP is most effective when started as soon as possible after coming into contact with HIV, and must be started within 72 hours. When taken correctly, PEP is highly effective at preventing HIV transmission. The HIM Health Centres on Davie St. and Commercial Drive have PEP available. Learn more about PEP, and where to get it by clicking the button below.
For more information about PEP, please click here.
Hepatitis A and B vaccinations are FREE. Gardasil, the HPV vaccine, is available for free if you’re under 27, have sex with men, are street-involved, or HIV positive. If you’re not eligible for a free HPV vaccine, you can purchase it from most pharmacies and travel clinics. Some health insurance plans cover the costs, so check your insurance policy first.
Vaccines are available at HIM on Davie and HIM on the Drive with a walk-in time slot. You can also book an appointment but only at HIM on the Drive. Click here for more.
To make access to harm reduction supplies free and easy, supplies are available by anonymous pick-up at the Davie St Health Centre and by mail order. Please fill out the order form.
Events & Workshops
Our events and workshops are customized for gay guys. Whether it’s yoga, dance, art, or just finding other men to talk to and connect with, HIM events provide a great opportunity to be social and engage with guys in the community.