Take care of your sexual Health.
Our 5 health centres in the Lower Mainland provide gay and bi men with:
- Full-spectrum sexual health testing: Early, Rapid and Standard HIV as well as STI testing
- Vaccinations for Hepatitis A, B, as well as HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) for those under the age of 27
- Primary health care through a nurse practitioner
- Counselling and coaching
- Consultation with nurses
Need to see us?
Due to high demand for quicker service, we have created more options to meet your testing needs. Depending on your specific situation (e.g. the kind of sex you have been having, or the tests that you need) you may be offered an Express Testing appointment, or an appointment with a nurse.
All appointments are available for pre-arranged appointments, or walk-in appointments. If you walk in, please arrive early as time slots tend to fill up quickly. To make an appointment at any location, call 604-488-1001 or click here. Please arrive early for appointments or call us if you are delayed.
You don’t need a BC Care Card to get tested.
All tests are confidential. You can choose to use your real name or provide an alias.
COUNSELLING & COACHING
If you’re having a tough time or struggling with your mental health, our professional counsellors and coaches are here to provide support. To book a counselling appointment, please call 604-488-1001, or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you have questions, check out our online mental health resource.
HIV and STI Testing
All 5 HIM Health Centres offer:
- Early HIV test: Can detect the HIV virus 10–12 days after being infected, your results are available in 5 to 7 business days (blood draw)
- Rapid HIV test: Detects HIV antibodies from 4 to 6 weeks, up to three months after infection (note that most men will have detectable antibodies 3–4 weeks after HIV infection). Your results are available in 1 minute (finger prick)
- Standard HIV test: Detects HIV antibodies from 4 to 6 weeks up to three months after infection (note that most men will have detectable antibodies 3–4 weeks after HIV infection). Your results are available in 5 to 7 business days (blood draw)
- STI tests: We test for chlamydia, herpes, gonorrhea, Hepatitis A, B and C, HPV/genital warts, and syphilis. Your results are available in 5–7 business days. Remember to ask for a rectal swab if you’re having condomless sex.
More For Your Health
PEP – POST EXPOSURE PROFYLAXIS
PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is an option to prevent HIV after you may have come into contact with HIV during sex. It involves taking HIV medications for a month to stop HIV from taking hold in your body. PEP is most effective when started as soon as possible after coming into contact with HIV, and must be started within 72 hours. When taken correctly, PEP is highly effective at preventing HIV transmission. The HIM Health Centres on Davie St. and Commercial Drive have PEP available. Learn more about PEP, and where to get it by clicking the button below.
Hepatitis A and B vaccinations are FREE. Gardasil, the HPV vaccine, is available for free if you’re under 27, have sex with men, are street-involved, or HIV positive. If you’re not eligible for a free HPV vaccine, you can purchase it from most pharmacies and travel clinics. Some health insurance plans cover the costs, so check your insurance policy first.
To book a vaccination appointment, call 604-488-1001.
Partnering with Providence Health and Vancouver Coastal Health, HIM on Davie Health Centre provides primary care to eligible men through a Nurse Practitioner who can diagnose, prescribe, as well as perform some routine procedures. To find out if you’re eligible, see our Nurse Practitioner criteria.
Events & Workshops
Our events and workshops are customized for gay guys. Whether it’s yoga, dance, art, or just finding other men to talk to and connect with, HIM events provide a great opportunity to be social and engage with guys in the community.